Sunday, September 8, 2013

SPOTLIGHT: Black Heart by R.L. Mathewson

There was something seriously wrong with Marty. That was the only explanation that she could come up with. Why else would she feel this way for the biggest SOB in town? Granted, he was also the hottest man in town, but he was also arrogant, callous, and determined to drive her away even as he drove her crazy with his touch. She should just walk away from him and probably would if it wasn't for this connection that she’d always had with him that kept making her want more with the one man that couldn't give her anything more than heartache.

He should have left and never looked back when he’d decided to finally do the right thing and push Marty out of his life, but instead he stuck around to torture himself by staying close to the one woman that he could never allow himself to have. She deserved better than him, better than the tortured existence that he led and better than the horrifying future that waited for him.




A lot of people say that they started reading again because of Fifty Shades of Grey. Well yeah, sure, I read the books, but that wasn't what brought me back to reading. What and who, was R.L. Mathewson and all of her amazing books. My family went on a driving trip to California last July. I had finished reading 50 shades but that had been a good month before and I hadn't read another book in that time period. So with my new iPad and the need to keep myself entertained on our 36 hour drive from Houston to Los Angeles, I headed to iTunes to see what I could find. I was skeptical on buying a ton of books, seeing it had been years since I sat and read a book, so I headed to the FREE books on iTunes and the most popular book that week was PLAYING FOR KEEPS. So I downloaded it and a few others and was happy with what I downloaded and was done with it. We left early the next morning and I opened up my book to start reading. The three hours to San Antonio, I had read almost half of the book and I was hooked! I hadn't devoured a book in years and I didn't want to stop...shhing my kids when they tried to ask me questions "Your dad is sitting right next to me! Ask him ~ I'm reading!" was my response. As we stopped to have dinner, my only requirement was some place with wi-fi so I could get onto iTunes to download the rest of R.L.'s books. I bought all 7 books that she had published at the time. By the time we pulled into my mother-in-laws house in California I had finished all the books except for the Pyte Series, which I finished in the first three days of our vacation! I adore her books, I recommend them to EVERYONE and I re-read them whenever I get the chance. R.L. made me fall in love with books all over again ~ and now look where I am <3 So THANK YOU R.L. for giving me a kick start!

Now let me say that I know when picking up a book by R.L. Mathewson I am going to have a good laugh, have my heart strings tugged on and fall head over heels in love with the lead male because he is going to be hot, sarcastic and charming! Black Heart did not disappoint.

This paranormal romance was the just the right amount of para and romance. When we first meet Tristan it is as he is being abandoned by this mom and dad, who just don't know what to do with their little boy who is fighting a losing battle with the unknown. Tristan is taken in by the EMS worker who gets called to his house and is soon adopted by the family. Tristan knows that he is different, knows that he doesn't fit in, yet his family loves him and has always supported him, even though they have never figured out what was really wrong.

Tristan has always been drawn towards his neighbor, Marty, since they were little kids. There was always something there, but he was always afraid to get too close to her, because he didn't want his secret to scare her away.

This book has some big time twists and turns in it, that make you do a double take and go what the hell is going on! But I LOVED it. I could not put this book down. I was drawn in from the beginning to the end. Marty and Tristan's chemistry is magnetic and magical and pure and all the things you love about love stories. Any R.L. Mathewson fan is not going to be let down by this story. I can't wait to read more from this continuing series from R.L.



Tristan gripped the edge of the desk until he feared that his fingers would snap off when he felt her warm soft lips press against his shoulder. He took a deep breath, trying to calm his raging hormones. The last thing either one of them needed was him jumping her. Well, that wasn’t entirely true. He could really go for it, but he was pretty sure that she might get upset.
“What was that for?” he somehow managed to ask. Although truth be told he had no idea if it came out coherent since his mind was still focused on the things that he wanted to do with her mouth.
He felt her warm breath tickle his ear. Oh…shit……
“For all those times you used to kiss me better. Remember?”
He chuckled softly as his body turned to putty beneath her touch. “How could I ever forget? You were my own personal stalker.”
She playfully slapped him on his good shoulder. “I was not a stalker!”
“Yes, you were!” He chuckled harder as he remembered how diligent she was about following him everywhere. If his father hadn’t attached locks on the bathroom doors she would have followed him in there as well.
“Hey, I was not half as bad as the girls who used to follow you around when we were in school,” she said defensively as she continued to rub his back. She felt him further relax as they reminisced about the good old days, the days where she got to spend every waking moment with him and felt whole.
He groaned loudly. “Don’t remind me. I still have nightmares of giggling girls with acne and braces chasing me down and trying to steal a kiss.” He gave her a mock shudder that earned a soft chuckle.
“See,” she teased, “I wasn’t that bad. I only demanded kisses when I had a boo boo.”
“That’s true. Even then sometimes you demanded extra kisses for all of your invisible injuries.”
She sighed dramatically. “I was a sneaky one.”
“Yes, you were,” he chuckled in agreement. She loved the sound of his laughter, absolutely adored it.
“I still remember the last time you gave me a kiss,” she said, smiling at the memory of her first kiss.
“Really?” he asked, stunned that she did. He remembered the last time, but for completely different reasons.
“Uh huh,” she said, stopping her massage to squeeze a little more lotion in her hands. Tristan’s eyes closed as he enjoyed her ministrations.
“How could I ever forget the kiss that made my life a living hell?”








  OTHER BOOKS BY R.L. Mathewson

Neighbor From Hell Series



Hollywood Hearts Series

 


EMT Series




Pyte/Sentinel Series (Paranormal)



Also available on 




READING ORDER

PARANORMAL ROMANCE

PYTE/SENTINEL NOVELS

  1. Tall, Dark & Lonely: A Pyte Series Novel
  2. Without Regret: A Sentinel Novel
  3. Tall, Dark & Heartless: A Pyte Series Novel

CONTEMPORARY ROMANCE


NEIGHBOR FROM HELL

  1. Playing for Keeps: A Neighbor From Hell Novel
  2. Perfection: A Neighbor From Hell Novel
  3. Checkmate: A Neighbor From Hell Novel* 

HOLLYWOOD HEART SERIES

  1. A Humble Heart: A Hollywood Heart Novel
  2. A Reclusive Heart: A Hollywood Heart Novel

EMS SERIES

  1. Sudden Response: An EMS Novel
Hello, my name is R.L. Mathewson :)
Before I tried my hand at writing I was a receptionist, cafeteria worker at the college I attended, museum worker, bellhop, and about a dozen other different things that are pretty embarrassing so we’re just going to skip over those things and pretend that they never happened ;D
At some point I got a little direction in my life and tried my hand at emergency medicine, since I am, or at least was, deathly afraid of needles I opted for the fun job in EMS, an EMT. It was a fun job, a bit stressful, but I learned a great deal and had the opportunity to meet people from all walks of life. I learned a great deal from my patients and have never forgotten the wisdom they imparted on me. After a short stint as a Residential Home worker I decided to try the stay-at-home mom job and found out something very important.
I can’t just sit around with nothing to do while I try to be deathly silent so that I don’t wake up one of my children and send them into a blood curdling screaming fit. So, to fill the time I started to read again. When I was in school I was a bookworm, but got away from it as I grew older. I was drawn back into my love of reading by Julia Quinn’s What Happens In London. It was a wonderful, witty book and I fell instantly in love with romance novels.
Some of the romance novels that I read were great and I couldn’t get enough, I started to play with the idea of writing a book. Several months later I finally gave in and tried. For four months straight I worked day and night until finally I finished my first book. Then of course I re-read what I wrote, cringed and deleted the entire book and started over again. I started working on other projects and soon had two finished books, Tall, Dark & Lonely: A Pyte Series Novel and A Humble Heart: A Hollywood Heart’s Novel. It was a very exciting time except for one little problem……
I had absolutely no idea what to do with the books now that they were done. So, of course I put the books aside and forgot about them for a little while I worked on other books. Months later I decided that maybe I should do something with them. I looked into getting published, admittedly not very hard since what I read about the publishing process wasn’t exactly making me jump and down with excitement.
After reading an article about self-publishing I knew that was the way I wanted to go. I like the freedom to write what I want, when I want and publish a story that I hope others will enjoy reading. It gives me a great deal of freedom and allows me to retain full control over my work, which of course allows me to set the prices of my books and make them affordable for everyone :) Which of course is the reasoning behind the $0.99 price tag for my books.
That’s how I became a writer and why I self-publish. Well, that and I’m pretty laid back and don’t want to be hassled with contractual obligations. That would just cut into my writing time, time with my kids, reading time and my hot cocoa addiction. Yes, I am thoroughly addicted to hot cocoa and if you’re interested in experiencing the perfect cup of cocoa you can find the recipe for my cocoa somewhere on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment