Thursday, November 17, 2016

Dealing in Deception by Samantha Joyce

As an actress-for-hire, Veronica Wilde has made a living out of pretending to be other people. It’s the one thing at which she’s always excelled: taking on someone else’s personality and running with it. So after Elise Jameson, author of the bestselling Viking Moon series, decides she no longer requires Veronica’s services, she needs to find a new gig—and fast.

But when her newest client hires Veronica to help him make his small business look more successful than it actually is, the sparks that fly between them are definitely not part of the act. Suddenly, Veronica finds she’s tired of playing pretend for a living. She’s been acting for so long, she’s blindsided by the one man who sees her for who she really is. And the most terrifying part? She might actually like it.
 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29073457-dealing-in-deception
KOBO | iBOOKS 
  
I was really surprised by this book. This was my first read by Samantha Joyce and I really enjoyed this book a lot.  

I instantly fell in love with Baxter. I love a lovable geek and Baxter fit it to a tee. An ex-accountant out to do good in the world around him. It did take me a while to warm up to Veronica, but the chemistry between these two was awesome. The bickering and the sarcastic nature of both made this a fun read.  

This was a fun quick read that was full of heart and I can't wait to read more books from Samantha Joyce. She has definitely been added to my TBR list.

“Well,” Veronica said after a moment, “you’re certainly passionate about your cause. I’ll give you that. But I’m sorry. I think you were right the first time. I don’t see this endeavor going anywhere, with or without my help.”
She jumped out of the chair and headed for the door. I lunged off the sofa and stopped her before she made it out of the room. She stood only inches away from me, her hips almost against mine. A gasp popped out of her mouth, sexy as hell and weakening my knees, but I maintained my stance at the door.


“I thought you said you could beat any challenge,” I said. “Isn’t that why you came in here with me in the first place?”


She placed her palm on my chest, almost like she was going to push me out of the way, but her hand stayed flat. I wondered if she could feel my heart pounding at her nearness.


We stood like that for a full minute, challenging each other with our eyes and bodies. Something licked my hand then wriggled between us. Ari let out a bark. I patted him on the head to let him know everything was fine and the strange woman in front of me wasn’t a threat.


Or maybe she was the biggest threat I’d ever encountered.


Veronica’s fingers left my chest, and she sank into the chair. “You’re right. I can pull this off. But we do need to discuss price. You said you had some money saved up, but something like this won’t come cheap.”


“Scott said you charged him three thousand?”


I took my seat on the couch as she studied her nails. “Scottie was an easy one. This job is a longer stint, and it will require some major acting on my part, as well as getting in touch with some of my contacts to get meetings with potential investors. Five times the work, at least. So, fifteen grand.”


“Whoa.” I exhaled and leaned back. That ate into most of what I had left. I’d need to take on a few consulting jobs from home to make ends meet, but it was doable. Guess I wouldn’t be paying off that maxed-out credit card any time soon.


“I knew you couldn’t afford this when you walked in yesterday,” she said. “Something about the hole in your sleeve.”


“I didn’t say no. I just needed to think about it. I do have it. But I get a full refund if you’re not successful, right?”


Ari resettled beside her and placed his head in her lap. She didn’t shove him off. I found myself suddenly jealous of my dog.


“And what exactly are the terms?” she asked. “What do you want?”
“

I want my blankets bought and mass-produced to help the needy.”


“That’s impossible.”


“Then walk away. It’ll be our little secret you failed before you tried.”


Her cheek twitched. Victory was mine. “Fine. We have a deal, Baxter.”


“Bax.” I corrected. “Baxter makes me feel like someone’s dog.” 

The corner of her lips tilted up, ever so slightly, and satisfaction bloomed in my chest that I might have actually made her almost laugh.
“We’re done here.” She stood and pulled her phone out of her purse. 

“I only take cash. We’ll meet downtown tomorrow. Here, input your number and I’ll text you the details. Bring the money and we’ll start right away.”


I handed her the phone after entering my details, and walked her to the door. Ari trailed behind us. “If you can actually pull this off, it will be a miracle.”


“No kidding. This is the dumbest thing I’ve agreed to.”


I held out my hand. “Well, thanks, anyway. I’ll see you tomorrow, Ronnie.”


She spun on her heel, her eyes darkening beneath her long lashes. The anger on her face knocked me back so far, I almost tripped on the dog. 

“Don’t call me Ronnie. Ever. Or this deal is off, got it?”


“Got it.” I held the door open for her. “Have a good evening, Veronica.”



She walked down the street and got into her car without another word. Goose bumps raced up my back as I watched her silver vehicle exit my street. The look on her face when I’d called her Ronnie had chilled me to the core. She hadn’t exactly been a basket of puppies when we’d met, but I’d definitely hit a nerve with my attempt at a friendly nickname.
Ari whimpered as her car disappeared from view, and I rubbed his ears. “I agree, buddy. I just made the scariest deal of my life with the most terrifying woman I’ve ever met. That book was wrong. The devil doesn’t wear Prada. I’m pretty sure she wears Chanel.”

Samantha has wanted to be an author since she picked up her first book and realized authors get to create new worlds with just a pen and paper (or laptop, if you will). She loves to write about romance because, as someone who married her high school sweetheart, she absolutely believes in true love. She also loves making people laugh and feels love and laughter go hand in hand. If she can make someone both swoon and giggle with her words, she considers that a success. When not writing or at her day job, Samantha can be found either singing and dancing on stage in local musicals, or at home watching geeky television shows with her husband.

Her debut, FLIRTING WITH FAME will be published by Pocket Star/Simon & Schuster in 2016.


OTHER BOOKS BY SAMANTHA JOYCE

ans, and tElise Jameson is the secret author behind the bestselling, cult hit Viking Moon series. But when a stranger poses as Elise, the painfully shy, deaf nineteen-year-old starts to see how much she’s missing. Can she really hide in the shadows forever? This clever, coming-of-age debut is for anyone who has ever felt unsure in their own skin.

After a freak childhood accident leaves her deaf and physically scarred, nineteen-year-old Elise Jameson retreats into a world of vibrant characters she creates on her laptop. She is shocked when her coping mechanism turns into a career as a phenomenal bestselling novelist. Fans are obsessed with Elise’s Viking Moon series and its author—a striking girl with zero resemblance to Elise who appears on the back covers. Elise sent the randomly Googled photo to her editor following a minor panic attack. Now, horrified to learn she is expected on set of the television pilot based on her novels, Elise tracks down her anonymous stand-in. To Elise’s surprise, Veronica Wilde has been taking credit for Viking Moon for years. She eagerly agrees to keep up the charade if Elise will pose as her assistant.

It’s hard for Elise to watch a stranger take credit for her work and get all the perks she desires, including admiration from the show’s heartthrob star. Edged onto the sidelines of her own life, Elise reconsiders her choice to stay anonymous. Is she ready to come to terms with her true identity—and with the long-buried secrets that could cost her her career, her fans and t
he few precious friendships she’s made?


 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25531669-flirting-with-fame

 

No comments:

Post a Comment