Sunday, July 12, 2015

A Man of Character by Margaret Locke


What would you do if you discovered the men you were dating were fictional characters you'd created long ago? 

Thirty-five-year-old Catherine Schreiber has shelved love for good. Keeping her ailing bookstore afloat takes all her time, and she’s perfectly fine with that. So when several men ask her out in short order, she’s not sure what to do…especially since something about them seems eerily familiar. 

A startling revelation - that these men are fictional characters she’d created and forgotten years ago - forces Cat to reevaluate her world and the people in it. Because these characters are alive. Here. Now. And most definitely in the flesh. 

Her best friend, Eliza, a romance novel junkie craving her own Happily Ever After, is thrilled by the possibilities. The power to create Mr. Perfect - who could pass that up? But can a relationship be real if it’s fiction? Caught between fantasy and reality, Cat must decide which - or whom - she wants more. 

Blending humor with unusual twists, including a magical manuscript, a computer scientist in shining armor, and even a Regency ball, A Man of Character tells a story not only of love, but also of the lengths we'll go for friendship, self-discovery, and second chances.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25535077-a-man-of-character

Available for Kindle and in Paperback

What a fun concept for a book and I absolutely loved every minute of it.

What would you do when after 6 years of hiding away from men in general, you became the one that everyone was chasing after. Well that's exactly what happens to Catherine. The men of her dreams all of a sudden become a reality. Not really sure as to why the sudden change until her and her best friend figure out that it has to do with an ancient manuscript she received as a present from her father (years after his death) that is bringing her past stories, to life.

Although the thrill is there, are these men really the man of her dreams? Do they like her because of who she is or because of how she wrote them in her short stories?

This was a cute, fun, read about coming to terms with who you are and what you want in life.

Can't wait to read more from Margaret and continue the journey!

 

“Look, Uncle Ben! You’re under the mithtletoe!”

Both Cat and Ben glanced up to realize they were, indeed, under the mistletoe that Eliza had hung above the Romance section in which they were standing. Cat glanced quickly at the various covers of women with bosoms about to fall out of bodices, clutching intense, impossibly beautiful men. Awkward.

“You haff to kissth her, Uncle Ben. That’s what the rulesth are!” Alice insisted.

“I’m not sure—” Cat began.

“Alice, no—” Ben started to say.

Alice’s face fell. “You haff to, Uncle Ben. Mommy saysth! She makesth Daddy kissth her under the missthletoe all the time!”

“All right,” Cat said.

Ben looked at her. “Okay?”

She nodded. “We can’t disappoint a little girl at Christmas, can we?”

Don't tell my mom, but I started reading romance at the age of ten. I'd worked my way through all of the children's books available in the local bookmobile, so I turned to the adult section, where I spied a book with a woman in a flowing green dress on the cover. The back said something about a pirate. I was hooked (and still wish I could remember the name of that fateful book!).

My delight in witty repartee between hero and heroine, in the age-old dance of attraction vs. resistance, in the emotional satisfaction of a cleverly achieved Happily Ever After followed me through high school, college, even grad school. But it wasn't until I turned forty (what? I'm still fourteen on the inside!) that I finally made good on my teenage vow to write said novels, not merely consume them.

I live in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in Virginia with my fantastic husband, two fabulous kids, and two fat cats. You can usually find me in front of some sort of screen (electronic or window; I've come to terms with the fact that I'm not an outdoors person).

I love to interact with fellow readers and authors! You may find me here:

Website/Blog: http://margaretlocke.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/AuthorMargaretLocke
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/Margaret_Locke
Twitter: @Margaret_Locke

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for giving A Man of Character a chance, Becca! I'm thrilled you loved it, and grateful that you hosted me here on your blog today.

    ReplyDelete