Friday, January 8, 2016

TOP 10 Reads of 2015

This was NOT an easy year to narrow down all of the books that I read (a little over 300). It was a stellar year with a lot of new authors and seasoned authors cranking out winner after winner!

I usually do a TOP 25 of the year... but it felt so unfair to actually number them down putting ranks on them and there were just so many fantastic books. So for the past week, I've been sharing my top picks. You can go to my FACEBOOK PAGE: HERE to see everyone that I've already recognized as amazing reads of 2015.

Now the ones I'm listing today, well I felt pretty strong about these. There are a lot of new authors (to me) that made the list and some that I've been reading for a while. This list is the books I recommend time after time and have read over and over and will probably read a few more time again in the near future.


BUY THE BOOK
 The life of a session musician is rarely easy. After consecutive tour cancellations and a stack of unpaid bills, Chloe Bennett fears her dream has come to an end.

Then everything changes.

Indie rocker Reid Ryder needs a replacement violinist for his tour. For Chloe, it’s the opportunity of a lifetime. For Reid, it’s a checkmark off his list. Already battling addiction, guilt, and his inability to write new music, Reid's hopeful that things are finally falling into place.

But life is never predictable.

When the tour begins, he finds himself drawn to Chloe. She challenges and inspires him. Their onstage chemistry is electric. To the outside world, they’re the perfect match. To those involved, however, it’s not so simple. When Reid’s no longer sure that the future he planned is the one he wants, a choice must be made.

Love...or loyalty.
Brooklyn & Beale was everything I was hoping for and more. I loved Olivia's debut - Hollywood & Vine (which you should totally read if you haven't) and love her style of writing, so I had high expectations going into this story. Not only did she deliver - she blew me away.
I love a good rocker love story and let me tell you that Reid Ryder ranks up there with the Kellan Kyle's and Jake Wether's of the book boyfriend variety. He's kinda hard to explain without giving away story line, but just know that he will grab you and toy with your emotions in a way that will make you swoon from the beginning to end. What I loved about Chloe is that she wasn't a whiny heroine - whoa is me type of girl. She's strong, witty, cute and perfect in her role as friend to Reid.

This isn't an insta-love romance either. These two build a strong foundation and their struggles are real and not overly done. I honestly could not put the book down (and I tried! I had a ton of work to get done and after a while, I just gave up.) 

Not only are Reid and Chloe highly developed, so is the whole cast of characters. You want to leap into the pages and become a part of the gang and live the life along with him. Escapism at its best!

I can't wait for more stories from Olivia and she has definitely made it to one of my go to authors!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24734042-brooklyn-beale?from_search=true&search_version=service
BUY THE BOOK


I’m a sinner with no regrets.
I’m a man with no shame.
I’m a lover with no soul.
What am I?

You’re a loner with no friends.
You’re a beggar with no place to go.
You’re a face with no name.
Who are you?

It doesn’t really matter what I am or who you are. Everyone has sin in common. But I pride myself on doing it better. Through the eyes of another, I am envied. If they only knew the wrath I have endured. Greed can be a motherfucker, but it is what makes us strive to be better. Lust can make you burn, but without it you would freeze to death. Some of us are a glutton for punishment and want to feel the pain that reminds us we’re still alive rather than overcome by sloth.


The lure of these seven deadly sins is like an addiction. And I intend to indulge in each of these unforgivable sins.





This book was raw, gritty, passionate, edgy - a sexy mystery all rolled into a fantastic book. Addiction is the perfect title for a book that keeps you guessing and has your mind spinning, you just don't want to put it down. 

Case and Taylor are explosive together, in both good and bad way. I can't tell you too much without giving away the story. Just know - you won't be disappointed.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24734042-brooklyn-beale?from_search=true&search_version=service

BUY THE BOOK
Amazon | B&N | iTunes | Kobo 

Mirror, mirror … who’s the fairest of them all?

I still cringe when I hear that line. A fairy tale that had girls pretending they were the fairest, the most beautiful, and the most entitled. A fairy tale most couldn’t grow out of turned my haunted childhood memories into a living nightmare. Girls who grew up believing that pile of garbage became the meanest of all ‘mean girls.’

And those mean girls were right – it was a line meant for all the beautiful people in the world – and I knew the answer would never be me.

The women with long legs, flat stomachs, and perfect chests.

The type of women Kane Masters gravitated toward.

Well, that’s definitely not Willow Tate.

No. That will never be me.

Because I’m completely imperfect.

And … I hate myself.

I have no idea what Kane could possibly see in someone like me when he could have them




OMG what an amazing story. Every woman no matter her size has had insecurities. This is a book that I think everyone can connect to in one way or another. The strength that both Willow, Kane and all of her friends show blows me away.

Book Hangover Warning!

You don't want to miss this book. Truly Harper's best writing to date.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24734042-brooklyn-beale?from_search=true&search_version=service



BUY THE BOOK
Garrett Armstrong, the lead guitarist of Epic Fail, womanizer and not so nice guy, leaves a trail of women in his wake. A recent one-night stand wreaks havoc, and turns his present completely upside down. He’s faced with a reality that he never expected. Never wanted.

Samantha Weston can’t escape the black cloud that follows her. She suffered an unspeakable loss as a teenager and has been climbing uphill ever since. As soon as her life starts to become manageable she’s slammed with another tragic event, forcing her to abandon the only thing in life that she cherishes.

A heartbreaking situation throws this unlikely pair together. They’re forced to face things that seem impossible. Can Sam get past the demons that haunt her? Can Garrett accept a fate he swore to avoid at all costs?

Can they conquer the sins that are poised to destroy them or will they become an Epic Fail?





Another tear inducing novel from Trudy Stiles. Garrett, Sam and Kai will unquestionably steal your heart.

What an incredible journey of love Epic Sins is. You felt the pain this thrown together family was enduring, making you live in the moment right along with them. Be ready with a box of kleenex, because you'll need it several times throughout the book.

I absolutely get lost in Trudy's stories. Epic Sin is a spin off from Trudy's Forever Family Series. Although you don't need to read the Forever Family Series in order to read Epic Sin, reading will only enhance your knowledge of characters.



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24734042-brooklyn-beale?from_search=true&search_version=service


BUY THE BOOK
In a matter of seconds my entire world changed, and it was in that moment that I stopped living and simply began to exist.

In my grief, I sent a letter to the first boy I ever loved. I hoped in writing it I’d find some peace from the nightmare I was living, some solace in my anger.

I didn’t expect him to write back. I wasn’t prepared for his words, and I certainly wasn’t ready for the impact this soldier would have on my life. A deep-rooted hate transformed into friendship, and then molded into a love like I’d never known before.

Sergeant Devin Ulysses Clay did what I couldn’t: he put the shattered pieces of my heart back together, restoring my faith in humanity and teaching me how to live again.

But now that I’m whole, I have a decision to make. Do I return to my life as I knew it and the fiancĂ© I left behind, or do I walk away from it all for the only man to ever break my heart?

***

I’ve been living in hell, but you won’t hear me complain.

These men depend on me, as I do them, and this brotherhood is the only family I’ve ever known.

The Army saved me from a callous mother and a life on the wrong side of the tracks that was quickly spiraling out of control. So unlike most of the men in my platoon, going home wasn’t something I longed for.

I was content overseas, spending my days defending this country that gave me my life back. Fighting became my new normal … until her.

A letter from Katie Devora—a letter that I almost didn’t open. Her words put a fire back inside of me that I didn’t know I’d lost. She gave me hope during a time when I was fighting every day just to stay alive, and now it’s time I fight for her.

  
There really aren't words to describe how much I loved A Lover's Lament. It's a times heart wrenching, hopeful, breath taking and just magnificent. 

A times it's hard to believe that this book was written by two people. It flows effortlessly between the two POVs. It was a fabulous debut by BT Urruela and made me add every book of KL Grayson to my TBR.

A Lover's Lament is a second chance romance that will grab hold of you on page one and leaves you in pieces when THE END shows up on the page.

I couldn't turn the pages fast enough to see what would happen next with these two friends as they scratch their way back to surface to form a bond that was stronger than before.

A Lover's Lament should not be passed up and I can't wait to read more from both of these amazing authors.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24734042-brooklyn-beale?from_search=true&search_version=service

BUY THE BOOK

My name is Reyna Miracle. 
Even though a part of my name is Miracle, there’s nothing miraculous about me. 
My body portrays the tales of my life. 
Every feeling, every heartbreak, every emotion. 
Marked. 
Inked. 
Stained. 
A walking canvas of my messed up truth. But there’s one confession I can’t put in a tattoo. A confession that will kill me to tell, but my best friend died before I had the chance. 
Now I’m left with him. 
The only one who can hold me in the night and squeeze that spot on my neck that feels like my lifeline between sanity and chaos. But we don’t work together. 
We’re absolute poison for each other. 
We’re a stifling, suffocating, sickness of darkness. 
But I feel safe...because I’ve made an art of pushing people away. 
Now he’s pushing back… And making me believe... Making me wonder... Maybe, just maybe... I could be the one.


 
Not the One was a fabulous read. It is much darker than other novels by Amy but the feels that you get from this book are off the chart! 

I seriously had a huge book hangover after reading this book. It's not all deep and down. We get comic relief in the form of our favorite redhead from the London Bound Series. This is a standalone book but in order to get a little more depth in the story line I would recommend reading the London Bound Series because they are fabulous reads and I adore Amy.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24734042-brooklyn-beale?from_search=true&search_version=service

BUY THE BOOK

Fallon meets Ben, an aspiring novelist, the day before her scheduled cross-country move. Their untimely attraction leads them to spend Fallon’s last day in L.A. together, and her eventful life becomes the creative inspiration Ben has always sought for his novel. Over time and amidst the various relationships and tribulations of their own separate lives, they continue to meet on the same date every year. Until one day Fallon becomes unsure if Ben has been telling her the truth or fabricating a perfect reality for the sake of the ultimate plot twist.

 

This book... this book is just... ARGH in a very good way! This took me back to the reason I love Colleen. Just like SLAMMED, NOVEMEBER 9 gave me the same feels where I just could not put it down. And when I read the last line, I had the biggest smile on my face.

What would you do when the perfect person drops into your lap on the most imperfect day? 


The suspense of what happens next keeps you turning the pages as fast as you can. Ben and Fallon are witty and fun together. Sarcastic yet vulnerable towards each other. The thing is November 9th is a significant day to both of them - with a secret held by Ben that could ruin both of their lives forever.

Another stunning read from Colleen and hopefully this won't be the last we see of Fallon and Ben.


 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24734042-brooklyn-beale?from_search=true&search_version=service
BUY THE BOOK

They say it takes 21 days to form a habit.
They lie.
For 21 days she held on.
But on Day 22, she would have given anything for the sweet slumber of death.
Because on Day 22, she realizes that her only way out means certain death for one of the two men she loves.

A haunting tale of passion, loss, and redemption, The Paper Swan is a darkly intense yet heartwarming love story, textured with grit, intrigue, and suspense. Please note: This is NOT a love triangle.





Once again Leylah Attar has blown me away with this intense, passionate love story. Leylah has a way of bringing words to life in a way that they encompass you and make you feel as if you are living the story itself. You feel every emotion the characters exude and your heart takes the leap of faith that love doesn't die.

This is a story unlike anything out there. Its about revenge, lost love, compassion, conviction and truth. It takes you through pain, agony, hope, inspiration, redemption and faith. I absolutely loved every page of this book. A page turner that makes time fly.

Leylah doesn't disappoint in giving you journey that will leave you gutted at points and flying high with the next. A definite must read.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24734042-brooklyn-beale?from_search=true&search_version=service

BUY THE BOOK
One night changed my life—one that I barely remember.

When I close my eyes, my mind paints a picture of his smile and shades the contours of his hands, the deep scar around his bicep.

I'm an artist, yet my hands are unsteady. With his presence, he has unknowingly broken that something inside of me that makes me who I am.

Being around him is like standing in a rainstorm. First the drops tickle my skin, and then they coat me, refusing to be ignored. Finally, they soak into me, reaching parts of me I don’t think anyone has ever touched.

When dreams turn into reality, will the picture in my mind transfer to paper?


Teaser by Prisoners of Print
  
 
This book is so full of feels, that you are transported into living the book instead of just reading it. Mariah has a way of making you a part of the story, not just reading it but living and breathing it. Every book written by Mariah gets better and better and Weight of Rain is her finest work yet.

Lauren is a bit of a loner. With only a few friends, she gets lost in her world of art. Taking in every aspect of the world around her. There seems to be one person she just can't get out of her mind. He's a mystery. An enigma. Yet she can remember the plains of his body, the curve of his lips, the scars that riddle his body. She just doesn't know who he is. After months of trying to remember, asking anyone who may know who this guy is...she gives up. That is until he literally walks back into her life one day, sending her world is a spin. She doesn't know whether to be giddy with joy that he's back in her life, or want to stab the arrogant asshole who seems to take joy in teasing her about their one night. Turns out to be the night that neither of them can forget.

Crossed paths and miscommunication brought them to where they are now. But can either of them walk away?

The book paints the story in vivid details, but not in a way that is too wordy or overdone. You know their thoughts, their fears, their hopes. Getting drawn in, turning page after page, needing to know more.

Secondary characters take a piece of your heart along with Lauren and King and you care for the entire group as a whole.

Mariah is a contender that I hope more and more people discover - a true diamond in the rough.
 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24734042-brooklyn-beale?from_search=true&search_version=service
BUY THE BOOK
Twenty-Four hours before we were to be married--I offered to shoot her.
Ten hours before our wedding--I made a mockery of her dying wish.
Five hours before we were going to say our vows--I promised I'd never love her.
One hour before I said I do--I vowed I'd never shed a tear over her death.
But the minute we were pronounced man and wife--I knew.

I'd only use my gun to protect her.
I'd give my life for hers.
I'd cry.
And I would, most definitely, lose myself, to a dying girl---a girl who by all accounts should have never been mine in the first place.

I always believed the mafia would be my end game--poisoning my heart, while it claimed my soul. I could have never imagined. It would be my redemption.

Or the beginning of something beautiful.

The beginning of her.

The end of us.






Sergio is the ghost. He's been the man hidden behind the family. And there is good reason. Now he is stuck with a woman he doesn't want to love and a family he is trying to prove his loyalty and allegiance to.

This is book six in the Eagle Elite Series and can totally be read as a stand alone but why would you wan to do that? LOL. This series is amazing and you will want to know the background story to Sergio and his family.

This book ruined me. I couldn't read anything for days after finishing this book. Every time I would talk to someone about it, I would get teary-eyed. I'd break down crying for no reason at all... and then message Rachel with pictures of my red swollen eyes. This book totally blew me away.

I can't tell you more than that. But know this. Have kleenex and maybe a friend that is reading along with you (or has read it) to hug you a long the way.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24734042-brooklyn-beale?from_search=true&search_version=service

  

1 comment: